Clear The Air News Blog Rotating Header Image

Lau Wong-fat vows to block second landfill extension, in Tuen Mun

SCMP

dynamco Jul 9th 2013 10:36pm

KTBPass sounds like an ENB mole. As for his uninformed comment on Naples read this:
www.goldmanprize.org/recipient/rossano-ercolini

Capannori became a springboard for the nation’s Zero Waste movement, which soon grew to include Naples—a strategic location given its dysfunctional waste collection system that left garbage piling up + burning on the streets. Ercolini successfully proposed the city to host Zero Waste International Alliance’s 2009 global meeting. A few months later, the city of NAPLES joined Capannori in adopting Zero Waste.
Thanks to the grassroots campaign led by Ercolini educating communities on the merits of Zero Waste, 40 incinerators have been scrapped or shut down + 117 municipalities (home to more than 3 million residents) have joined Capannori in adopting a goal of Zero Waste. In November 2012, for the first time in Europe, the small but affluent region of Aosta passed a referendum banning incineration with overwhelming support from 90 percent of voters. Ercolini’s efforts have sparked the beginning of a Zero Waste network throughout Europe, with countries such as England, Estonia, Spain, and Denmark following Italy’s lead.”
The incinerator was rejected in 2012 by Panel EA because Edward Yau had failed to embrace recycling legislation + just pushed landfills + incineration only.
What has changed ? NOTHING.
Meanwhile technology has advanced + they refuse to accept this.
Our waste can be exported to Europe as a commodity.

Giwaffe Jul 9th 2013 11:28am

For all those opposed to landfill expansion, have you forgotten that garbage must be somehow dealt with? Would you rather prefer for trash to pile up on your housing estates, on the streets, in the parks, etc.? Admittedly however, landfill expansion cannot continue indefinitely.
For the present, it seems the most feasible and sustainable solution to manage Hong Kong’s waste problem is through thermal treatment (incineration). The government should expeditiously embark on an aggressive construction program for waste to energy plants (incinerators) based on the latest plasma gasification technology. Based on current and anticipated levels of waste generation, the total daily processing capacity should exceed 25000 tons by 2030.

·

KwunTongBypass

KwunTongBypass Jul 9th 2013 9:31am

Cool! Soon we can call Hong Kong – The Naples of Asia!
Or, maybe it’s a plot against ‘Occupy Central’. Once enough rubbish piles up in front of the Legco building – there is no more room for protesters.

·

rvto Jul 8th 2013 7:03pm

Lawmaker Lau Wong-fat last week approved the plan and is now against ? Nice sample from a trustful lawmaker

South China Morning Post

Published on South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com)

Home > Lau Wong-fat vows to block second landfill extension, in Tuen Mun



Lau Wong-fat vows to block second landfill extension, in Tuen Mun

Monday, 08 July, 2013, 3:23pm

NewsHong Kong

ENVIRONMENT

Stuart Lau, Cheung Chi-fai and Emily Tsang

Environment officials struggling to find space for the city’s rubbish may have to shelve another landfill extension plan after pro-government lawmakers joined pan-democrats in opposing it.

https://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/486w/public/2013/07/09/nagsjkldgsdfgsdfg74.gif?itok=E7ke-PuL

New Territories leader and lawmaker Lau Wong-fat said yesterday he would do all he could to block the extension of the Tuen Mun tip, by far the bigger of two plans remaining since the government withdrew a proposal for the Tseung Kwan O dump.

Two lawmakers who are also executive councillors urged the government to consider withdrawing its HK$35 million request for a feasibility study of the Tuen Mun plan, while the Liberal Party said it was considering withdrawing its support.

“I will exhaust all means to block the funding request,” Lau said, calling on Secretary for the Environment Wong Kam-sing to withdraw it from the Finance Committee agenda on Friday.

He claimed he had secured support from lawmakers in the loose Business and Professionals Alliance.

Lau is a big landowner, with plots in Lung Kwu Tan village next to the Tuen Mun landfill.

Executive councillor and legislator Jeffrey Lam Kin-fung, who belongs to the seven-member Alliance, advised the government to postpone the item. “Let’s wait a few more days,” he said.

Fellow Exco member Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee, of the New People’s Party, also said the government should consider withdrawing the plan.

But the Environment Bureau said last night it would be tabled as scheduled.

At least 32 of 70 lawmakers on the committee, including the pan-democrats and Federation of Trade Unions, have pledged to oppose the plan.

James Tien Pei-chun, of the Liberal Party, also said the party would “reassess” its support due to the widespread opposition.

If the plan is rejected, Wong will have lost two of the three extensions deemed necessary to keep the city running. The three landfills, now the only destination for waste, will fill up one by one from 2015.

Wong’s earlier shelving of the Tseung Kwan O plan ignited even stronger opposition from Tuen Mun residents, with only the HK$7 billion Ta Kwu Ling extension plan meeting less opposition.

Whether the proposals will be put to a vote will depend on when a filibuster threatened by “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung ends.

Lau blasted Wong for failing to properly consult the local community.

He said he was disappointed about a letter in which Wong said the administration had co-operated with the district council through a liaison group.

The liaison group was set up in 2007 to follow up district improvements after the local council gave its conditional support for a sludge incinerator to be built in Tuen Mun.

“This is not the case,” Lau said, speaking after a meeting with fellow district councillors. “This should not be mixed up with [the landfill issue].”

Yesterday’s meeting was snubbed by councillors from the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, which has pledged support for the extension.

The district council has objected to the landfill extension on the grounds Tuen Mun has a disproportionate share of dirty facilities such as power plants and fuel depots.

Wong Wai-yim, of the Ta Kwu Ling rural committee, said while he opposed the landfill plan, he was equally concerned about the waste crisis facing the city.



Links:
[1] http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1278294/delays-landfill-extension-recycling-efforts-waste-crucial
[2] http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1276330/lawmakers-prepare-trash-timetable-landfill-expansion-plan
[3] http://www.scmp.com/article/684018/sympathy-shown-tuen-mun-residents

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *