Clear The Air News Blog Rotating Header Image

August 2nd, 2012:

NOW TV Live wish to interview Clear the Air on Air Pollution tomorrow at 10:30am to 11:00am Live

Dear All,

Now TV Live wishes to interview Clear the Air on Air Pollution and recent Hot weather, another guest from WWF.

Tomorrow Morning Live from 10:30am to 11:00am

Any particular issue you want me to bring up during the interview?

Regards

Edwin Town

Vice Chair, Clear the Air

90371186

James Middleton dynamco@netvigator.com
2 Aug (3 days ago)
to senkswongCEO, me
Warnings as pollution hits ‘severe’ levels
Lai Ying-kit SCMP
2:34pm, Aug 02, 2012
Roadside air pollution worsened on Thursday, with Central and Mong Kok at times soaring above the “severe” level of 200.  The air pollution index at roadside monitoring stations peaked at 212 in Central at 7am, before falling slightly to the 190s around noon. The index was 200 at Mong Kok at 7am.

When the index hits 200, children and the elderly are advised to avoid physical exertion and outdoor activities.

The reading at Causeway Bay reached 182 on Thursday morning before falling to the 150s in the lead-up to noon. The air pollution indices in the three districts on Thursday morning were higher than their average levels on Wednesday, when the dirty air began to accumulate.  An index above 100 is classified as a “very high” level when people with heart and respiratory conditions are advised to avoid areas with heavy traffic. Three other districts – Kwun Tong, Sham Shui Po and Kwai Chung – also posted “high to very high” levels of air pollution on Thursday morning. The Environmental Protection Department said pollutants were trapped as the wind was light in Hong Kong under the effect of Typhoon Saola.

Clear the Air says:

The typhoon in Taiwan has caused still air in Hong Kong.

With no wind to blow the smog away , bright sunshine is acting on the photo chemical smog from the engine combusted roadside NOx and so ozone is formed.

This shows conclusively that our pollution source is local and the NOx from old diesels and buses  and ozone remain trapped in our developer-friendly overbuilt urban canyons.

Furthermore 31% of our particulates, 27% of Nox and 23% of SOx comes from ocean SHIPPING vessels in and passing by our waters and burning high sulphur bunker fuels (2.75-4%) whilst we force the use of ULSD in street vehicles.

The USA has a 200 mile Emissions Control Area (ECA) for shipping which enforces the use of low sulphur diesel once entering the ECA.

So why not here too ?